Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Scotch-O-Roos

Just when I was starting to get comfortable at work they had to go and switch it all around on me... on Sunday June 29th we officially made the move from our old hospital building (the UCLA Medical Center) to our new hospital building (the Ronald Reagan Medical Center at UCLA). I worked the night shift on Saturday the 28th so I was involved in getting ready all night... even though the new building (outlined in blue on the map) is just right across the street from the old building (outlined in green on the map) every patient had to be transported by ambulance. This means that by 4am we had to do all baths and dressing changes, send the family out, gather patient belongings and medications, transfer over their IV pumps from the ones we used in the old hospital to the ones we will use in the new hospital, and basically get the patients as stable as possible so that they could be moved. For the day of the move every patient was assigned double the staff because they needed to have a sending team (who would be in charge of the patient in the old hospital and during the ambulance transport) and a receiving team (who would be waiting to help settle the patient in the new hospital). My shift ended at 7am and our unit was scheduled to start moving at 8am so I am curious to see how smooth the transition was and I am excited to start using all the cool new toys in the new unit ;) As part of our good-bye to the old building we had a little going-away dinner party on the unit, I went to my old fall back, scotch-o-roos, because they take about 15 min to make, they don't require refrigeration, they are always a hit and I thought they would be nice to snack on all night... well as soon as I got my patient settled I went in to get one and this is what I found:So much for snacking.
PS: I almost forgot my favorite feature of the new hospital, look back at the map and you will see a red line - this is fraternity row and our 7th floor unit puts us at the perfect height to look down over the fraternity houses and see their roof-top parties as I toil away on the night shift, maybe I really am becoming an adult... nah.

No comments: