Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Master Tree Finder

Thanks to the local Putnam County library I am now an official Master Tree Finder. Why is this important? Well after the success of the garden Dad voted that the next enterprise should be a distillery or a winery, Julie voted for raising chickens or some cattle (for eggs and milk, not to eat) and I voted for the much more attainable goal of maple syrup. Conveniently, since I am the only one without a job, mine is the only vote that counts! So I became a member of the local library to get access to their books on maple sugaring and I learned all about the whole process. It is actually pretty simple (in theory) but the tree sap doesn't get sweet until late winter so all I can do now is prepare. The most important part of the process is making sure that you are tapping the correct trees (hence the 'Master Tree Finder') so I went around and spray painted little white dots on 6 big Maples while all the trees still have leaves (because the easiest way to identify a tree is by its leaves - trust me, I am a master). I also ordered a tapping kit with all the other random odds and ends the process requires. So now we are ready!

No comments: