Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Mango, Mango

Laura and I are very different when it comes to food. I could eat leftovers for every meal of every day and I will eat the same thing for two or three days in a row without any problem at all. Laura on the other hand finds great amusment in creating meals and trying out new things. For example, this week she brought three mangos back with her from home - mangos are never something I would choose to pick up at the grocery store (in her defense, these three in particular were given to her by a neighbor) but I was curious so I gave one a try (it was quite tasty) and she showed me how to cut it. When I was done we were left with a mango seed that Jess and I decided to plant in the front yard. We assured Kacy that it would be out of the way and she wouldn't even notice it until it was producing tropical fruit for her to eat. We looked online to find out where to plant it and how big it would get and this is what we found "Mango trees make handsome landscape specimens and shade trees. They are erect and fast growing with sufficient heat, and the canopy can be broad and rounded, or more upright, with a relatively slender crown. It is ultimately a large tree, and can grow upwards of 65 ft. The tree is long-lived with some specimens known to be over 300 years old and still fruiting." Hmm... not quite the cute little tree we were picturing but whatever. More importantly, Jess rode over to Kacy's house on a bike she has borrowed from a friend for the summer and I cannot begin to tell you how jealous I am. I have been a runner for the past eight years but I am kind of getting tired of it so I have been spending more time working out on stationary bikes in the gym and swimming laps in the pool. Unfortunatley the gym is closed this week (because we are in the break week between summer terms) and I haven't been able to bring myself to go on a run in the 90+ degree heat. I have a beach cruiser and a mountain bike but they aren't very good for riding long distances. When Jess came over on this thing I was immediately jealous, #1 it looks cool (and looking cool is the best incentive to work out) #2 I can pick it up with two fingers #3 it has cool gears #4 it has a water-bottle holder and last but not least #5 it has the little foot strap/cage thingys (sort of another branch of the looking cool department). Needless to say I want one, a little more incentive to get that first job ;)

No comments: