Sunday, June 17, 2007

Fried Chicken

The traditional Sunday meal at Camp Illahee consists of fried chicken, wild rice, broccoli smothered in cheese sauce and rolls topped with butter and honey. Since I am trying to hold off feeling sorry for myself that I am studying about psychiatric nursing instead of getting payed to play in the mountains, I made (as close as possible) this meal for myself during my study break tonight. It didn't have quite the taste of food that is prepared in mass quantities but I enjoyed it none the less. The campers usually have this meal for lunch so that the kitchen staff can have the evening off. Instead of a hot meal for dinner, the girls make sandwiches and everyone sits outside in their crazy creeks listening to James Taylor and practicing their skits for the Sunday night campfire. In the interest of tradition I ate my dinner on the back porch and I even listened to "Carolina on My Mind" by James Taylor while I did the dishes ;)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I that the traditional beer normally served with dinner?

Anonymous said...

merrie-woode is much cooler than your stupid camp. I bet our sunday fried chicken is even better. But I guess since both of us are stuck not being at camp we can come together as friends (even if we come from different generations of Laurie and Gordon Strayhorn...)

Anonymous said...

PS laura gave me your website (when you first made it), and I must admit, it is awesome.