Saturday, June 5, 2010

The Cloisters

Today we had a breakfast with the local alumni of Columbia's School of Nursing and then we took a trip to The Cloisters. The Cloisters is a branch of the Metropolitan Museum of Art dedicated to the art and architecture of medieval Europe. In a monastery, a cloister is a square or rectangular open-air courtyard surrounded by covered passageways. The museum was full of beautiful religious artifacts, some of which I knew the significance of, but many of which I did not so it should come as no surprise that my favorite part of the museum was the herb garden! They chose the plants for the garden according to a ninth century edict of the emperor Charlemagne naming 89 species to be grown on his estates. Here was my favorite section in the garden: and here was my favorite plant in that section:My favorite indoor artifacts were the Unicorn Tapestries. These 16th-century tapestries depict the hunt and capture of a unicorn. Here is a picture of one of them entitled "The Unicorn is Attacked":

No comments: