Monday, August 27, 2007

Moving to New York


I am not quite ready to be serious yet so my life plan is starting with a roadtrip. I decided to drive up to my dad and stepmom's house in upstate New York for an undetermined amount of time... it could be for one month or it could be for two years (until I am ready to go to graduate school) - I'm sure there will be many factors that go into making this decision, but all I know right now is that I am not going to worry about it because all of my options are good ones ;) I boxed up about 90% of my clothes and mailed them to New York - the rest of my belongings were stuffed into my car, leaving just enough room for a cooler and Laura (who volunteered to drive up with me). We left on Thursday afternoon after Laura got out of class (Kacy wanted to come too but it was her mom's birthday so she already had plans) and made it to somewhere in North Carolina where we stopped for the night. Before leaving Gainesville we stopped by AAA to plot our course, the lady who helped us didn't seem to realize that we were not going to New York City so all of the maps she gave us put us right through it on our way upstate. We unfortunately arrived in the city right around rush hour on Friday which left us time to count out change while we sat in line to pay tolls - this doesn't sound too unusual until you realize that we are not talking about $1.50, we are talking about $5 - $10. For example, we videoed the transaction at the toll booth before the George Washington bridge where I paid with 60 dimes. We got to dad and Julie's around 7pm, just in time for a quick tour for Laura (she hasn't been here since spring break of our freshman year) and dinner complete with vegetables from the garden. Saturday morning we woke up and got back in the car to drive up to Boston and see Katie/Katherine perform in a play at school - she did a great job and we were all very proud! Sunday we dropped Laura off at the airport on the way back to New York so that she could get back to Gainesville in time for class on Monday (her life plan is a bit better formed than mine right now).

No comments: