Friday, August 3, 2007

Crisis Averted

I have two final exams next week, one on Monday and one on Wednesday but Anna called Thursday and asked me if I wanted to go scalloping with her on Saturday. I did not have the will power to turn this offer down so I decided I would study ALL DAY today and drive up early tomorrow morning. I was doing pretty good all morning when all of the sudden I heard a big boom and the power went out (in the middle of me typing up my review and in the middle of a sunshine filled afternoon - not a cloud in sight). Not good. Over the next half hour it became apparent that the power was out for the entire block, also during that half hour a big summer thunderstorm blew up. So now I am sitting in my dark house while it is storming outside trying to decide if I should get dressed and go to the library when someone starts pounding on our front door. It turns out that a branch had fallen on the powerlines IN OUR BACKYARD! Oops... I figured this was probably the cause of the 'big boom' I had hard earlier and walked out there with them expecting to see some giant branch that needed to be chainsawed-up, only to find them using this huge yellow pole to knock the tinest branch you have ever seen off of the lines - it was about the width of my pinky finger! Apparently it hit the lines in just the correct way to cause them to short circut. After the branch fell down all they had to do was replace the fuse in the transformer (or something like that) and the power was back on in about five minutes. Crisis averted, they are my heros :) Here is the offending branch, charred and all:

No comments: