Tuesday, May 26, 2009

LA Bike Tour

Yesterday was the Los Angeles marathon. Last year I volunteered at a water/gatorade station and discovered that in the wee morning hours, before the race starts, they open up the course to bikers for a tour of the city. Well this year I signed up for the bike tour figuring that it would be cool but also that it would give me an idea of the distance I will be expected to race (after swimming a mile and before running a 10k) in the triathlon come September. Little did I know that my bike would be snatched a week before this biking venture so the day after I discovered my loss (may she rest in peace) I turned around and got a new bike. Now I'm not gonna lie, I was a bit devistated by the stolen bike but over the past month I had been thinking that it might be time to upgrade to an actual road bike so I will choose to remember the theft as a catalyst to a better bike instead of some shitty luck. So the bike tour was a chance to try out the triathlon race distance AND to break in my new bike! It was fun, I convinced one of the other nurses on my unit, Wes, to do the ride with me. I was working Saturday and Sunday which were the days of the race Expo so he had to pick up my registration packet and afterwards he promptly sent me a text to inform me that the race started at 5am (I can handle that), so we should try to get there by 4:30am (OK) which means we need to leave his house by 4am (ouch) which required me waking up at 3:30am (f*&k). It was a long day...

No comments: