Thursday, June 12, 2008

The Santa Monica Stairs aka Satan's Escalator












(look in the background on the pic on the right to get an idea of how far down they go)
The description of this place on Yelp says it is "a kick ass place to get an ass kicking workout" and I think I couldn't have said it better myself. Ashley and I were at a bar watching the Lakers game last night when one of the other girls we were with asked if we wanted to run The Stairs with her this morning and we tipsily agreed. I had heard about these famed steps from one of the girls on our unit, she said they were probably the best workout she has ever had and I have been dying to try them ever since. The Stairs are actually two sets of public stairs that are about 180 steps each, they descend from Santa Monica into a neighboring canyon giving you a lovely ocean view and a grueling workout. I would classify myself as in better shape than your average bear so I started off walking down the stairs and then decided to jog/run back up. My lungs were burning by the time I reached the top but I was OK so I immediately turned around and went back for more. I made it back up two more times (progressively slowing) before I had to take a break and walk around a bit. I only made it down and up a total of six times in 45 minutes, by the end of trip six my legs were shaking so badly that I was afraid of falling down all 180 steps if I attempted it again! I don't think it was the hardest workout I've ever had but it is definitely one of the coolest/chicest/LAest ;) We saw celebs (someone from Dancing With the Stars!), trainers, people who shouldn't take their shirts off... it was quite a scene.

No comments: